Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Living and Learning

Today is a brighter day. Not literally, in fact it has been a very gloomy cloudy day outside. I feel lighter today. A very dear friend shared a blog about loving someone with depression. By the way, thank you Stuart. I recognize so much of myself in the article. I am difficult to love and live with. I am very thankful to my family and friends for their patience and understanding. I would think it would make me more understanding of others. And sometimes I am. Sometimes though I am so very not. That is also part of depression. I wish I would not be so self involved. Some days it is about just getting through the next minute. Doing so does not leave a lot of room to be "there" for others. Another friend posted a link to a blog that details what it is like to deal with chronic pain. I have learned a whole lot in one day. I learned that there are so many people dealing with their own private hell. I thought I knew what to say or not to say to my friends who suffer from hidden sicknesses. Just because I have a condition does NOT mean I understand their plight. That was a real "aha" moment for me. Pretty pretentious of me to think I know their life. Apologies all around! No one really knows what any one else is dealing with. That makes us all unique. I have come to think that my illness makes me who I am. It is not separate from me. It is part of me. Would I like it to go away? I am not sure. I have learned so much about myself on this journey. Would I have had those same experiences? Would I have connected with the wonderful people in my life? I don't believe so. I would not trade some of these wonderful people for anything. And the not so wonderful people, well I hope I have learned something in my dealings with them. My journey continues. Learning continues. Isn't that what life is all about? Living and learning. And mini York Peppermint Patties. They are amazing.
Edit: I did not link the blog I was referring too. Thank you Lori! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/literally-darling/loving-someone-with-depression_b_4002503.html

No comments: